Antivirus is an important part of any Android device. What antivirus does is it protects your Android tablets and mobile devices from any viruses. The virus is a self-propagating software program that is meant to corrupt all the files in your device and thus resulting in the breakdown of the device. All these viruses come from unreliable websites that you browse or use to download. Some common terms of the virus are Trojan, Malware, Hijacker and more.
Usually, Android devices do not come with any type of pre-installed antivirus software’s. Therefore antivirus must be installed on all the Android devices. Now, there are so many types of antivirus available in the app-store. And choosing the best Android antivirus and its features is a tedious task as all claim them to be the best. Therefore, today we will discuss the best Android antivirus and its features so that you can go for the best one as you like
1. AVG Antivirus
The AVG software package for Android devices provide a vast number of features, as it includes the basic virus detection and expulsion, phone locator to help find lost phones, sophisticated call blocker, and caller ID detection software, extension of battery life through automatic disabling of not-required processes and even the ability to store your private pictures in a high-security Vault for the utmost level of privacy. Here are some of the main features found in the AVG antivirus for Android devices.
- Scanning of applications, games, and files with the famous dual-engine AVG virus detection software.
- Online protection in the form of performing instantaneous checks of websites and URL links before visiting them in a browser.
- The ability to encrypt your Wi-Fi network with more than the basic, simple lacklustre password driven lock. This also includes a detector that informs you of your password strength (how difficult it would be to guess your password).
- Killing processes and settings that pose a huge drain to battery life.
- Disabling applications that slow down your device.
- Cleaning up of necessary files and data dumps generated by applications and thus the liberation of a large portion of storage space.
- Meters for Wi-Fi Upload and Download speed, so you can monitor the internet speed.
AVG has a multitude of features to prevent or at least, largely reduce the chances of losing your phone due to theft. You can use the extensive Remote Management System and the simpler text-messages to:
- Locate your lost or stolen phone through Google Maps
- Locking your phone through a screen lock message only you can bypass
- In built app feature Theftie which sends you a photo of anybody trying to unlock your phone
- Remote History which allows you to remotely observe and monitor the calls and text messages sent and received on your phone
The AVG protection software package includes features that protect your privacy, both in the form of photos, music, and data generated by applications. Some of the main features are:
- Hiding private photos in a secure, password driven vault to prevent discovery through snooping
- App lock feature allows you to lock applications to prevent any breach of your privacy or safety
- Call Blocker and Called ID Identification technology to identify spammers
- Apps requiring express permission before delving into any of your private data
- Deletion of clipboard content and search history to keep your net browsing totally private and safe.
2. ESET – Nod 32
The ESET Mobile Security is one of the leading names in the Mobile Protection Programs industry. There are indeed very few protection programs that can match the diversity, simplicity and varied functions of the ESET Mobile Security Program. It has new, in-depth features like a new system of scanning your phone for malware, adware, and spam-ware. It also has the capabilities to detect phishing sites and sites which store malware, spam, data or cookies without your express permission. It can fully cleanse your phone of junk data generated by applications, freeing up a lot of free memory storage space.
- Running instantaneous and simple scans to check for any malware
- The extremely useful feature of being able to lock your phone with a PIN or fingerprint (if you have the sensor required), which strongly discourages people from snooping around on your phone.
- Any suspicious apps can be scanned thoroughly to identify whether it is a genuine one or simply adware/malware etc.
- Scans for malware can be run instantly, scheduled to be run after a selected amount of time or for special circumstances like ‘When the charger is plugged in’ or ‘After the charger is plugged out’.
- Any lost or stolen smartphone can be recovered quite quickly if it has ESET Mobile Security installed. A simple text message to ESET and they will send you the GPS location of your lost or stolen phone.
- If you have left your phone somewhere nearby, a text message to ESET from anyone’s phone can make an earsplitting sound from your device, a feature that has helped reunite many absent-minded people with their phones.
- Unlike some other promises of the antivirus software industry, if one chooses to purchase the Premium version of ESET Mobile Security, multiple purchases are not required to run the antivirus program on multiple devices. A single purchase supports use across as many as 5 devices.
3. Norton (Symantec)
- It comes with Android security that helps you to scan and removes spyware, malware and other types of viruses that have already infected your device.
- Instant SMS will help you lock the phone from a distant place if it is stolen or lost.
- It prevents data theft when your device gets stolen or misplaced.
- It locks your phone to protect it from delivering data to other people after a continuously failed attempt of 10 unlocks. This feature can be enabled and disabled according to your wish.
- On successful removal of the sim card from your device, it will lock the device instantly as it detects unusual behaviour.
- If your device goes missing, it instantly triggers an alarm to let you find it.
- On low battery, it saves the device’s location automatically.
- Using Norton, you will be able to sync your contact list and restore them and can even share them across devices.
- You have the option to see the vulnerability that can be caused by the websites and ratings for the search results.
- You can block all the unwanted calls and SMS that disturbs you throughout the day.
- You can wipe out all the data you had put in once remotely if you detect a theft or lost the device.
- If you detect a lost or stolen device, it can click a photo of the user trying to access the Android device. But this feature has to be enabled previously with the permission to access your camera on the device.
First things first, Kaspersky antivirus is absolutely free. This means that you can install and use all the features of the antivirus without having to pay a single penny from your pocket.
- Provides an in-depth background check which ensures that your device will be protected throughout the day without even opening the app.
- Blocks malware and viruses to penetrate into the system.
- All your private details can be protected through the app lock that comes in pair with the Kaspersky antivirus.
- If your device is lost or stolen, the antivirus tracks the device so that you can get back your device.
- Its anti-theft property helps your data to be secured without others accessing them.
- The anti-phishing feature lets you enjoy a secure online transaction without having the fear to lose your credentials and letting them be grabbed by the companies.
- Kaspersky provides you with a blacklist feature that can be used to blacklist or block certain numbers, calls, and messages. It also automatically blocks spam messages and calls for you.
- It filters out any dangerous links or documents while you are browsing the internet.
The anti-theft module of the antivirus allows you to create a white-list of the trusted SIM card as well as the option so that you can perform remote operations that will safeguard the privacy of your device. In the event of loss or theft, Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus enables you to use the remote SMS commands to erase all the important information, lock your device, trigger an alarm and get the GPS coordinates of where your device is located.
- The application is integrated with the Avast Mobile Backup, which is to be installed separately, by creating a backup copy of the phone book, text message log, and your gallery.
- Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus allows you to set a password for accessing the suite, for safety reasons and to avoid undesired changes in the settings.
- The interface of the application is elegant and quite simple. The application is packed with numerous features, but it is also well-organized so that even a less experienced user does not face any problem.
- Therefore, it can be concluded that Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus is an excellent product to ensure the security of your smartphone or tablet. It’s easy to configure, offers an extensive set of features, and ensures low consumption of resources and batteries.
Above discussed features and points are of the best Android antivirus available in app-store. Some of the features might not work on the free version. But for a premium version user, all the above-mentioned features can be utilized by the individual.